Sunday, July 17, 2016

Completed 1930's Butterfly Quilt


The 1930's Butterfly Quilt is finally complete including the binding. I used a 30's reproduction fabric for the binding and attached it to the front of the quilt using the longarm machine. I have a video on my YouTube channel that shows the process. Click here for the video: Binding. There is also a video on the background quilting on the same page. Hope you enjoy them.



Thursday, July 7, 2016

1930's Butterfly Quilt


I purchased this quilt top in 2014 at an antique shop in Warrenton, MO. A lot of the embroidery was not completed, so I hand stitched that over a few days time. A few weeks ago, I took it out and looked it over. It had a lot of stains on it and was just dirty overall. So with some advice from the local quilt shop owner I purchased some quilt wash and soaked the top overnight. It took out all the dirt and most of the stains. I dried it in my dryer set to air dry - no heat.

My main concern was that the edges of the appliques might ravel with washing, and they did just a little bit, but nothing too seriously. They had been machine stitched down close to the raw edges by the maker, then hand embroidered with a blanket stitch. That helped keep the edges from raveling to the point of no return.

The quilting was kept pretty simple. Here is a short video of the quilting in the butterfly appliques.

video

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Vintage Singer


This 1950 Singer 15-91 is a new addition to my quilting studio. I purchased it at a tag sale from the estate of an elderly lady who used to come into work and help me fold bulletins each week. I've tried it out and it runs well, but it does need some work.

The wiring to the motor has lost most of it's insulation and needs to be replaced. I'm in the process of breaking open the motor to get to the wiring but found I don't have the correct size screw driver to move on any further - I'm about half-way done. I also haven't found the correct size wiring to use for the replacement. So currently the motor and balance wheel are in pieces waiting to be reassembled. Luckily everything is in pretty good shape - it just needed some cleaning. The bobbin winder tire is missing, so I need to order a replacement.

I can't wait to get it put back together and piece a quilt with it.

Monday, October 12, 2015

Ocean Waves Quilt


This Ocean Waves quilt was hand pieced by my grandmother prior to 1960. It was obviously made from used clothing, and the fabric was quite fragile in places with worn spots and even one tear.

The quilt is not square by any means and was a challenge to quilt it because of that. But done is good! I bound the quilt with solid black fabric to match the dots in the white fabric.

I wish I had more history on this quilt, but I was only 2 years old when my grandmother passed away and all those stories she could tell me about her quilts have long since been lost. I do know from other relatives that she was a "modern" woman and I think she would have been thrilled to have been able to machine quilt.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

9-Patch Variation Vintage Quilt


This quilt was hand-pieced by my grandmother who died in 1960. My mother gave me the top back in the 1990's telling me if I didn't want it she was going to give it to the Goodwill! My mother is obviously not a quilter. I took this top and another one that Grandma had hand-pieced and have moved them with me to 5 different homes.

I finally finished this quilt a few days ago. It is machine quilted (because that is what I do). I think Grandma would have been thrilled to have a longarm machine to quilt her tops. I used an 80/20 batting and YLI thread. The quilting is a simple outline stitch to keep the pattern traditional. The backing fabric was already with the top and is the same bright orange as the binding. I used the extra backing to make the binding. There wasn't enough of the backing left to make a biased binding unless I wanted to deal with seams every 4 inches - which I didn't. So the binding is straight-of-grain. Luckily the curves on the edges are not deep, so the binding was not a problem..

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Coneflowers


This is the quilt I used the hand-dyed fabrics in. It is a Melinda Bula pattern from her book "Cutting Garden Quilts." I learned a lot from making this quilt using Melinda's technique and will use this technique in future quilts. Thank you Melinda!

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Fabric Dyeing Session



I'm starting a new quilt and after searching through my stash, I realized I didn't have much to choose from. I've never had a large stash of fabric, always buying what I needed for each project. As a result, the majority of my stash is scraps. For this project I decided to dye the fabrics I needed.


These are my dyed fabric samples. I have 12 containers that I've numbered, and the numbers correspond to the recipes and the swatches. I've fused the swatches to a page in my sketch book using Wonder Under. I write down my recipes for each color on a piece of notebook paper, then put both pages into a 3 ring binder.


I used to just dye the fabric and not keep records, but I want to be able to recreate the colors, so keeping records is vital. I'm dyeing these fabrics over a couple of days, trying to get as close to the colors I need for this quilt as I can, so it's trial and error. I'm happy to say that I managed to dye all the fabric colors I needed in the 3 days I've been working on this. I only dye fabrics in 12 containers due to space limitations.