Friday, July 31, 2009
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Monday, July 27, 2009
Yesterday between church services and late in the evening I decided to work on a few of my projects that were just about finished and try to get them completely finished. Serenity Beach was the winner! I had a little beading left to do on the mountains and the sky as well as the larger beads on the foreground. That only took about an hour to do. Now it's complete and shining with all the beads. Yes, I went overboard with the beads, but once I got started, I couldn't stop! I'll need to learn restraint when applying beads to a quilt!
Friday, July 24, 2009
In the meantime, I thought I would share a few photos that have been the inspiration for a few of my landscape quilts. I've done a bit of traveling around the country as well as a few trips across the seas into Asia and one trip to the Yucatan penisula of Mexico. Some of the most inspiring landscape for quilts has been on trips through the western United States.
This photo was taken from the north rim of the Grand Canyon. I have a small quilt in progress from this photo. It's appliqued and ready for embellishment and quilting.
The photo below is from Southern Utah. I made a small quilt using this photo as inspiration and it is hanging in my living room now.
This photo is the Double Arches at Arches National Park. I haven't made a quilt from this photo yet, but it's on my "To Do" list. This quilt will need some time to complete.
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
She loved the sparkly fabric paint - mostly the red sparkly paint!
These are my oldest DD's results.
Above is the "Electric Bunny"!
Monday, July 13, 2009
I had Noell's Mystery quilt on the machine and I demo'd how I do straight-line quilting, as well as feathers in borders, triangles, and feather wreaths. Now my feather wreaths are usually done by tracing a circle on the quilt using a air soluble pen and a circle cut from cardstock. The cardstock circles are because I have only 1 acrylic circle template - a 7" diameter - and it rarely is the size I need. My homemade solution is to cut circles from cardstock and trace around them, then use a plastic lid from a butter tub as a guide for my hopping foot. My lids are never the right size either so I have to slide the lid around to keep it at the edge of the circle! It works, although it's a bit slow.
While I was at MQS I shopped for acrylic circle templates, but couldn't bring myself to spend the money on them! There were other items that I needed more, so I put them back on my wish list as a future purchase.
A few days after our quilting session, Susie surprised me with this gift!
3 acrylic circle templates in sizes 6", 5" and 4". Isn't she just the greatest friend!
Thank you Susie! I'll always be reminded of your generousity and friendship whenever I use them.
Thursday, July 9, 2009
So far this piece is 36x42". It will get some borders with more embellishment before I'm through.
This is a class given by Shirley on Learning Fiber Arts Yahoo group. Check out her blog to see some of her amazing work.
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Here are a few detail shots of the back of the quilt. It's quilted with Signature 100% cotton thread with a 5oz. poly batting.
Monday, July 6, 2009
Saturday, July 4, 2009
I just may see if I can't sneak outside a see a bit of the show.
Friday, July 3, 2009
This is my second piece. I used red, yellow, cobalt blue and purple, then sprinkled canning salt all over the fabric.
This was my first piece - same colors as the one above, but I used rock salt instead. I didn't like the results of those large pieces of salt. I didn't get the drawing action the way I wanted. The salt seemed to act like a mask instead.
This is the 2nd piece my youngest daughter did. She used blue purple and yellow. We then laid some string across the top and she sprinkled salt over it.
My oldest daughter only did one piece. The computer was calling her-ha! She used cobalt blue and fuschia paint, then scattered pony beads across the paint and sprinkled a few pieces of rock salt over it.
This is my youngest daughter's first piece. She used seashells across the middle section of the fabric and sea animal foam stickers. This piece was all fuschia paint.
We would have done more pieces except the sky got cloudy and it started to rain :( Maybe next week we can try some more. I need lots of practice. I'm want to try to make some sky fabrics next. Today was just playing around to see how the colors worked together, how much water is needed, etc. I'm using Setacolor Fabric Paints that I ordered from Dharma Trading Company.
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
This postcard was a trial with thread painting. I ran out of the rayon magenta thread and didn't have enough of the lighter pink thread to thread paint the entire card. So I left it as is. I have rayon thread on my shopping list.