Quilting Vintage Tops


I always hesitate when considering quilting a vintage top. Will it detract from the value of the top?When it is a customer quilt, I always follow their wishes. For my own tops, I tend to procrastinate. However, this vintage bowtie quilt top needed to be quilted before it was cleaned or it would fall apart. I decided that quilting would give it a longer life and possibly add value - if not monetarily, at least in the enjoyment that my family and I would receive from it. What good is a quilt if it is stacked away in a dark closet and not appreciated?

This top isn't a historically significant quilt. I purchased it at a flea market for very little money. So I bit the bullet and quilted it.


The end result was worth it I think. I really love the feel of the quilt - just like an old quilt that has been well loved. It's soft and cuddly. The quilting is traditional to fit with the age of the top. Next to clean it to take care of some of the dark spots.

I'm so please with the results that I'm in the process of quilting a few other vintage tops that I own.

Comments

Karen said…
I'm so glad you "went for it"! It looks beautiful and now it can be enjoyed.

Popular posts from this blog

Log Cabin

Zipper Leader Tutorial - Part 1

Glue Basting