I hand-dyed some yellow tones a few days ago. They are the 3 fabrics on the left. Since I didn't have any gray dye, I used the complement of yellow which is violet. The photo doesn't show the tones in their true color. They are actually a mustard color. I think I now have a wide enough range of yellows to use in my color quilt.
The tubs below are what I used to dye my fabrics in. The tub on the right is a pale yellow. It's the 4th fabric on the left. The yellow dye is very strong and I wanted a very pale yellow. I may still need to dilute the yellow even further to get a paler yellow. I'll have a better idea when I start auditioning the fabrics together in the quilt design.