Continuing Education

Being a quilter, I'm always interested in trying new quilting techniques so I buy lots of books on quilting design, quilting patterns, quilting history, etc. After attending classes at MQS last month and viewing all the beautiful quilts in the show, I decided to improve on color usage in my own quilts - this coming from a quilter who seems to be concentrating on white wholecloth quilts! What can I say - I like variety!

I purchased Katie Pasquini Masopust's book "Color and Composition for the Creative Quilter". I'm slowly working through the lessons and having a blast! These first lessons are quick and are easy to do on my "day off" from quilting for customers.

Here are photos of a lesson on composing with line and shape. They are all 8 1/2 x 11" compositions using black fused fabric on white muslin.

The first photo is using line placed parallel to the edges of the white fabric.

This is using line in a diagonal composition.

Another line composition using curved strips of black fabric.

A composition using straight and curved lines. The brown spot is where my iron spit on the fabric when I was fusing it :( Note to self - make certain the iron is fully heated before fusing fabric.

Tomorrow - Composing with shape.


Comments

Gina said…
love the last piece. It would lok great done up on a sunset orange background.

Love and hugs Gina xxx
TracyC said…
I love the first one.

Popular posts from this blog

Log Cabin

Zipper Leader Tutorial - Part 1

Glue Basting