Plan B


Yesterday, I measured the 2 quilts for AAQI to make sure they fit the size requirements, but this quilt with the butterfly and coneflower is 1/2 inch too wide. Rats! I'm debating on whether to take off the binding and cut it down,  or make another quilt. I'm leaning towards making another quilt. I don't have much room to cut this quilt down on the sides without the binding running into the appliques.

I have a wholecloth quilt on the machine right now, getting ready for the trapunto step. The top is loaded, but the trapunto bat is not. I've been debating on what batting to use for the trapunto. The poly batting I have in stock is a bit too thin, so I think I'm going to experiment with 2 layers of Hobbs 80/20. The top is cream colored, so the color of the 80/20 won't be a problem. I have used 2 layers of poly batting before, but didn't like the look. I'm hoping the Hobbs will give a firmer trapunto affect.

Here's a sneak peak at a portion of the design I'm using.

There is quite a bit more to the quilt design than this, but it gives you an idea of where I started.

Comments

Barb said…
I would make another one...that quilt is beautiful!!
Janet Hartje said…
Don't cut it! Seriously it's perfect the way it is. Can't wait to see your 'whole' quilt.
sosarahsew said…
Would you be able to block it to the correct size? I heard once of someone having to s-t-r-e-t-c-h her quilt to the correct size while blocking. I think yours would be easier to try smoothing the totally wet quilt to the desired size and pinning in place while it dries. Less time that rebinding or making new - unless of course you WANT a second beautiful quilt!!
Susan Loftin said…
I would have to shrink this quilt to get it to the right size, and it would just be easier to make a 2nd one. It's small, so it isn't a big undertaking other than making time in my schedule for it.

Popular posts from this blog

Log Cabin

Zipper Leader Tutorial - Part 1

Glue Basting