While on a day trip yesterday, I stopped by an Anitque mall to stretch my legs and look around. I left with the chair on the left. The chair on the right has been in my family for ages. It was my Grandmother's chair and I've had it since the late 1970's. It has been reupholstered several times, and as you can see, I'm in the process of reupholstering it now.
The fabric laying on the seat is what I've chosen to reupholster the chair with. I'll have to find something to coordinate with it to reupholster the chair I just bought since I bought the end of the bolt. Finding something to coordinate shouldn't be too hard since this is a neutral color - it just needs to go with the new paint color in the room. Both chairs need the padding replaced, too. So I have my weekend project to work on.
The reason I bought this chair - actually it's a rocker - is because the turnings were the same as what my Grandmother's chair is made with. I don't know the age of either chair, or the style, so I'll have to do some research.
I don't know the title of this quilt, but it is a Log Cabin Variation that I just completed for a customer. I love the soft blues and browns in this quilt. It just begged for feathers. See what I mean? I did add a few leaves in the small border, though.
The Hawaiian Quilt top is complete! This is a "big block" quilt pattern by Debbie Bowles. It went together quickly. I made 30 18 inch blocks set 5 x 6 then added a 3 inch outer border. The white fabric is a tone-on-tone that I purchased at a local fabric shop. The remaining fabrics were the ones I purchased in Oahu. The finished quilt size is 96 x 108 inches. I am playing around with quilting designs at this point in time. Hopefully I will get this quilt on the machine next week. In the meantime, I finished a Double Wedding Ring quilt. This was a large top that was given to me by a friend. Her mother had hand pieced this top. It was in good shape and almost perfectly square. I did a lot of ruler work on this top which slowed down the quilting process, but it was worth it.
I removed my old zippers yesterday and completed attaching my new zippers. Along the way I made 2 additional sets of zipper leaders so I have the ability to have 3 quilts ready to zip on if I need to. As promised, I took photos of the steps and will post them in stages. These directions are my own and you may be able to find other instructions out the internet. This is something I came up with on trial and error. The first set of zipper leaders I made were with garment zipper that you buy by the yard at a fabric store. They didn't work out the way I wanted. They kept separating on their own. So now I have 8 yards of zipper to use in other projects. First off you'll need some materials and supplies. 1. Canvas Duck - I purchased 4 yards of 60" wide canvas so I wouldn't have to seam the leaders. This is enough to make 5 sets of 2 leaders. Buy the length to match the length of your zippers. 2. Separating Zippers in the size of your choice - I purchased 144" long