Sharing and Binding

My girls have learned well how to share. They share their toys, their CD's, their time. They even share their colds :( Hannah came home from school on Friday with a bad cold and a fever that lasted through Sunday. She was back to school yesterday and feels almost back to normal now. Yesterday, Sarah and I were at the nature center when she told me her throat hurt. Today she has a fever and cold symptoms. So between doling out doses of cold medicine and Motrin, as well as popsicles and warm baths to bring down temperatures, I've been glue basting bindings on to quilts.

Oh, yes! I've also started in with cold symptoms. I taught my girls "sharing" much too well!

Here are two small landscape quilts I finished quilting yesterday. The first one is from a photo I took while driving from Utah to Colorado back in 2006. Well....I wasn't driving while taking the photo - my husband was.

This quilt is from a photo I took in the KOA Kampground in Cannonville, Utah. That is just outside of Bryce Canyon National Park. This is the view that was right outside our Kamping Kabin. Pretty nice, huh?

The first quilt is a Sudoku Quilt! See if you can work the puzzle! It's quilted with an overall feather meander from Linda V. Taylor. I used 6.6oz poly batting and "Fad" variegated thread by Signature.

The quilt below it is made from left-over 1/2 square triangles from another project. I made Shoo-fly blocks and set them with alternate blocks of hand-dyed yellow fabrics. It is also quilted with 6.6oz poly batting and "Buttercup" Signature thread. These 2 quilts are for my youngest daughter, Sarah. The Sudoku is a lap-sized quilt - perfect size for her to wrap up in. The Shoo-fly quilt is for her doll.

All 4 of these quilts were quilted on my Gammill Longarm machine. The bindings are machine stitched to the front using my domestic sewing machine - a Viking 500 - and are glue basted to the back at the moment. I will hand-stitch the bindings down in the evenings this week. I glue basted the bindings to the front before stitching them down. That helps keep them from scooting around and I don't have to use a walking foot. It gives me a more accurate 1/4" seam that way. I also glue baste the miter where the 2 ends of the binding meet, then stitch the miter, trim and glue baste that section of the binding down. It's quick, slick, and WORKS! Binding was always a pain for me to do well. Now I get much better results - all because of a bottle of school glue!

I have opened up a Flickr account of my quilt photos for those of you who prefer viewing photos on that sight. You can click on the link on the sidebar under "My Blogs" or click here. I've been trying to add a slideshow of quilt photos to this blog, but can't seem to figure it out. Can I blame my lack of blog-tech knowledge on my cold?



Anonymous said…
Glue basting! I'd never have thought of that. It washes out, so why not. You know what? The first year that KOA was opened, Paul and I stayed there in a Kabin, too! Now that's a small world. =)

I don't do well with puzzles, but I love your soduko quilt, and the quilting on it.

Popular posts from this blog

Log Cabin

Hawaiian Quilt Progress and a Finished Double Wedding Ring Quilt

Zipper Leader Tutorial - Part 1