Lily and Orbit





Monday I finished Orbit. It's another applique abstract quilt. The appliques are all cut from one piece of hand-dyed fabric and appliqued onto a black cotton piece of fabric with a copper colored cotton thread. I quilted the background in black Signature 40 wt. cotton thread using piano keys in the outer border, McTavishing in the inner border and pebbles between the applique. The quilting on the appliques is with Signatures Woodlands 40 wt. cotton thread. I used straight line quilting in the outer frame pieces and one of the inner frames in the lower right-hand corner. I quilted with the "Lofting" design in the remaining appliques.




I finished binding both Lily and Orbit yesterday using tips from Sharon Schamber. I was really pleased with the results. This technique takes longer, but the end results are well worth the extra time. I didn't have any "creeping" that I usually have with applying binding. Even using an even-feed or walking food, the creeping is a problem. I used my usual quarter-inch foot to apply the binding on these 2 quilts and got a much better result because the binding was glued on and heat set first. If you want to see a free video on Sharon's technique for binding, go to http://www.sharonschambernetwork.com/ Take a look at her other free videos while you are there. She is one talented quilt artist.


Here are some more photos of Lily - all completed with a binding.


Today I am off to the fabric store to purchase fabric for Barbara's "Seashore" quilt. I promised her a quilt for her 25th wedding anniversary which was 2 years ago. She just decided what she wanted last month when she saw Ginny's quilt. I'm going to used Ginny's inspiration to make a seashore quilt for Barbara. I already have a large piece of "sky" fabric so I've got a start. Now to pick out cloud, sea and sand fabrics.

Susan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Log Cabin

Zipper Leader Tutorial - Part 1

Glue Basting